During the latter part of 1959, a group of residents in the First and Third wards met to discuss and finally oppose a plan to change the west side of Chicago Avenue from commercial to manufacturing.
It soon developed that other measures under consideration in the Evanston City Council might be affected by positive and well-organized group action. As a result, The Southeast Evanston Association was formed in 1960 to represent the interests of the residents of that area. Those interests included zoning, land use, and historical and environmental preservation.
The need for citizen involvement has never been greater as we face today's increasing challenge of balancing economic growth with the desires and needs of our residential community.